Vacancy: Legal Counsel
Jumbo is a heavy lift shipping and offshore transportation & installation contractor. Jumbo has been developing pioneering solutions for ocean transportation for more than 50 years. Since 2003, building on our heavy lift capability, Jumbo rapidly established a sound track record in the offshore subsea installation market.
It is our philosophy that engineering, safety awareness and environmental care stand at the forefront of a reliable operation. This is why Jumbo has invested – and continues to invest – in the latest state of the art engineering methods, software and equipment and has developed its in house safety awareness program “Stay Well”.
Today we operate a versatile and in-house designed heavy lift vessels with a lifting capacity from 800t up to 3,000t. Two of our J-1800 class Construction Support vessels, Jumbo’s Fairplayer and Jumbo Javelin, are equipped with a DP2 system, enabling them to provide transport in combination with offshore installation services.
Jumbo is a family-owned company based in Schiedam, with committed people with a ‘hands-on mentality’. This is reflected in the way we work together and how we think along with our clients and partners looking for the best solution.
Jumbo’s Legal department supports the organization in legal matters such as drafting and negotiating contracts, handling of claims and disputes and various other corporate matters. The team currently consists of a Legal Counsel and Contract Managers. You will work under the general supervision of the General Counsel. We are looking for a Legal Counsel.
- drafting, reviewing and advising on contracts of carriage, construction and installation contracts, and all other (sub)contracts;
- providing contractual advice and guidance during ongoing projects;
- negotiating with clients, suppliers, contractors and authorities;
- managing and controlling (insurance) claims related to both the fleet and the office, including controlling of and cooperating with internal and external parties.
- Master’s degree in Maritime Law, Business Law or International Law;
- at least 5 years of relevant work experience as an in-house lawyer or at a private firm;
- proficient in negotiating (commercial) contracts;
- solid knowledge of Shipping and Offshore Contracts (BIMCO Charter Parties Heavyliftvoy, Heavycon, Conline Booking Note and Supplytime, LOGIC);
- knowledge of the knock-for-knock liability regime and conventional cargo liability regimes (such as The Hague (Visby) Rules and insurances in the maritime industry (such as P&I, H&M);
- experience with dealing with FD&D, P&I and H&M claims;
- fully conversant in English (verbally and in writing);
- ‘hands-on mentality’;
- available for 4 or 5 days a week.
- social, independent and persuasive personality;
- strong communication and listening skills;
- strong analytical skills;
- customer oriented.
- A solid pension package;
- 26 paid leave days a year;
- Hybrid working possibilities;
- Make use of fitness facilities at Jumbo Schiedam.
The headquarters of Jumbo is based in Schiedam. Within Jumbo there is an informal working environment and every month you are welcome to join the Thursday afternoon drinks in the company restaurant.
Applications (in English) should respond specifically to the requirements including curriculum vitae and motivation letter, to the Human Resource Department via our website (https://www.jumbomaritime.nl/career/)
Reactions from staffing agencies and other 3rd parties are not appreciated.